I’m always on the lookout for free images that I might want to use at some point in the future. This haunting picture is just such an example. I found it on a public domain website.
When I came to publish my first historical fiction, ‘Shadow of the Fatal Tree’, it perfectly fitted my impression of the heroine. The decayed effect seemed to portray the period and mood of the story.
It was a simple matter to crop the picture to size and add the type. (Unfortunately, there was no reference to the photographer, so I’m unable to give credit.)
Mask and crop the picture to size and add a black panel at the top to extend the photograph to page size. (I intended the author name to appear in the panel.) I used PhotoScape for this procedure as in find it easier than in Picmonkey, and not possible in the ACDSee version on my computer.
Set the type at Picmonkey. (They hold a few interesting ‘antique’ typefaces not found in Word.)
Typeset the title in 3 parts. ‘Paste’ them together. You will note that the words: SHADOW / FATAL TREE are in De Walpergen Pica, and ‘of the’ is set in Roman Antique, italicized.
Experiment with the color effects available in the menu. Select: “Difference’ under “Blend Modes’.